tennis ball

tennis ball

Thursday 4 December 2014

Tennis Docteurs Déjerine: In need of a warm-up


In the dark, cold days of December I don't want to go outside at all if I can help it, but I decide that a run round the tennis court would be just the thing to get the blood pumping and so I book another covered court.
Unfortunately Docteurs Déjerine in the 20th arrondissement is not really a proper indoor court - just an outdoor one with a roof. My husband moans like mad, but I have come prepared with gloves -  Charlotte and I have played in the snow before in London where playing inside was not an option. Our motto: there is no such thing as bad weather - only inadequate tennis kit! In my case the problem is inadequate contact lenses. As we pop up from the Metro into the less-than-lovely surroundings of Porte de Montreuil I find I can only see out of one eye. Fortunately in Paris one is never too far from a pharmacy and so I nip over the road for some extortionately-priced contact lens solution to fix the problem.
Vision restored, we quickly find the court, part of another large sporting complex complete with football pitches this time. The attendant appears from a changing room he has been cleaning in full protective clothing - including a face mask - to take our money. At least we know the showers will be clean, though I think it is too cold to get undressed - we will wait until we get home.
Docteurs Déjerine has two courts - closer to the Péripherique than we have ever been before, I can watch the traffic crawling off the slip road as I prepare to receive serve. On the adjoining court are two old Frenchmen - one of them dressed as if he is off for a game of golf in sunnier climes in bright trousers and a checked shirt. They bid us a cheery "Bonjour" as we arrive while my husband, dressed in tracksuit and body warmer, grumpily warms up. We are on the "old motorway" surface again - constructed from blocks of concrete, chequered with cracks. I rather enjoy myself - in fact I prefer to play outdoors, so outdoors with a roof seems the perfect solution in winter. And, thanks to my gloves, I return to winning form.


Tennis Docteurs Déjerine
32-36 rue des Docteurs Déjerine
75020 Paris

No comments:

Post a Comment